In the early part of Year 1, our curriculum is based on a mixture of the Early Years Foundation Stage and the National Curriculum.
Phonics: We follow the Letters and Sounds Document.
Key Stage 1 relates to children aged five to seven years, Key Stage 2 relates to children aged seven to 11 years old. Areas of study are in line with the National Curriculum as we believe that this offers all our children a broad and balanced education.
Your child’s education is of utmost importance to us and we have planned our curriculum to ensure that each year our students build on the skills learnt from the year before and that there is no repetition in their learning. Our staff are highly qualified and we have a good balance of EYFS, Primary and specialist teachers. This means that your child will access specialist teaching at an earlier age than in most other academies.
Reception Curriculum Overview
Year 1 Curriculum Overview
Year 5 Curriculum Overview
Year 6 SATs Information for Parents:
Year 2 Information for Parents:
Times tables practice - 2 3 5 and 10 times tables. There are some great games on-line to practice:
Money games - finding the total and paying with coins:
Addition and subtraction - practice adding 2 digit numbers (like 23 + 56 = ) using the partitioning method, and subtraction by counting on using a blank number line, jumping in tens then ones.
Reading: a free library of reading books for all abilities. Remember to talk about new vocabulary and ask questions about the text!
Writing: write a diary of what you get up to in the holidays, a story or fact book about your favourite hobby.
- Practice using a range of punctuation including capital letters, full stops, exclamation marks and question marks, apostrophes for contractions and possession (can't / Dad's phone).
- Be descriptive using adjectives and expanded noun phrases
- Extend sentences using conjunctions like 'and' and 'because'
- Use a range of sentence types: commands, statements, exclamations and questions
- Make sure that letters are correctly formed, beginning and ending in the correct place
Spelling: practice the Key Stage 1 common exception words
Education City: all Year 2 children have their login details in their reading diaries to access the web site at home.